Thursday, January 24, 2013

Whirlwinds go 'round and 'round

So I'm back!  Back in New Mexico, that is.  I was cleaning out my storage facility and selling things at rock-bottom prices to come back for the long haul and I got a call from my brother who was crying and sort of hysterical in this weird way he gets, apologizing furiously.  I was eating lunch, so I finished, paid, threw all my crap back in storage, went back home, loaded up most all my crap there, and then hit the road.  I still didn't get my damned ipod.  On the way out I burned a bunch of CDs, so that was okay, but they weren't music CDs, so they didn't hold up so well to a second listening.  If I'm alone in a car, on a 10 hour road trip, i can only listen to music for so long, and then it cuts the trip into 3 minute segments...or worse, a punk cd can cut it into 1.5 minute chunks.

So I got back at 5AM and now I'm here.  Mom's face is so slack that she's actually looking a little like those mummies with their wrappings off.  I would take a picture because it's kind of uncanny, but then I don't really want that picture, and...well...I was going to say "I wouldn't want someone taking a picture of me in that state," but I'm not sure if that's true.  If my kid came in and said, "Whoah, you look like a mummy when you sleep," I would probably say, "No shit?  I gotta see this.  Why didn't you take a picture, goofball?"

So, I'm back.  We're three in two beds, so that should be fun.  But it looks like our new task is to give her the morphine drops every hour, so maybe we need to be sleeping in shifts anyway.  All right.  I guess it's time to get up, brush my teeth, shower, and stop pretending like I'm still asleep just so I can get some alone time before the shit starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment