Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Another day full of not much

So I forgot how much I hate being around someone who is high while I'm not. This hatred extends to someone that I, myself, have drugged with prescription medicine. She drank a big giant glass of iced tea today, so instead of going to sleep at 6:30 PM it's now 11:30, she's had a sleeping pill and a pain pill, and she's just having a  slurred and rambling conversation about all awful shit through the bedroom wall at me. Luckily, she has never really needed me to be part of a conversation. I do say "yeah?" or "yeah" or "really?" every once in a while, to avoid the "are you listening to me?"

I didn't really realize how ghetto mom is. It never really showed before, but she has all sorts of shit that should've been thrown away, and hasn't been. So I've been chucking that. There was a spatula that was broken so that it hinged in the middle a bit and its handle had been melted repeatedly, so that it had become nigh unwashable. She dated one really broken-down old hillbilly when Gary was a boy, and that was just bizarre for me to see, but I think the biggest indicator lately has been the things she's warning me against. "Don't go giving the money I leave you away to anyone." "Don't spend all that money on a ring for a girl." She's also worried I'll loan the money out to some redneck relatives that I don't even know. She clearly doesn't know me at all.

She doesn't have a remote for the television in her room, but she can control the digital converter box. Unfortunately there was a setting for it to shut off after 8 hours, so if nobody did anything, it would turn off, and then the TV Static sound would blare and wake everyone. I went in and shut off the timer, so that she wouldn't have to wake me at 3AM to turn on the TV for her, nor would I necessarily have to turn it off to prevent that static blast from waking us up. But now she's drugged and dopey and clicking  the power off to go to sleep. Then it blasts and wakes her up, so she turns it back on and calls me to tell me something dark. Then I stay for a while, but eventually I leave, and then she does it again.

But I'll give her one thing, she was well-liked in her circles. Today I got nothing done despite being almost rested enough because she had 13 visitors. Yep, 13. I had one of my own, my cousin who picked up some Munchkin cards for me. I need to get the rest of my deck from Austin and then the games will be ridiculous.  My cousins and aunt came and played some Munchkin with me last night and it was awesome.

So, I fixed the door yesterday. The handle wouldn't latch. I fixed that problem. It's just too bad nobody told me that the door knob also isn't working. So while I can get the thing to latch, when you turn the knob it just won't quite open. I need to take it apart and fix it, but I'll have to find the energy somewhere.  For now, I filled the hole where the door should latch with pennies so that it can't. Now it's back to working like it did before: you have to close the deadbolt to keep the door closed. Unfortunately, this means that I must let in and let out everyone who visits.

My mom constantly talks about the things she wishes she had done. I guess when you're 60, 70, and 80, you're more okay with not having gotten around to stuff because you had years of not doing it and being okay with that, but at 58, not so much. That's understandable. She always talked about doing stuff, taking a trip to Ireland, but never managed to pull it off. I think she just kept planning for the future. My brother and I are going to reap a relatively decent life insurance payout. Instantly having no school loans will be wonderful, but I can't help but wish she had done a little something for herself. She still has 44 sick/vacation days left after taking weeks and weeks off for the first round of cancer treatment. The woman just never took time for herself.  Even coming to Deming was done to take care of her mom. Despite that she and I aren't close at all, it's stuff like that that make it so I can't just let her go to a nursing home or something. Plus, that's just not how we do things around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment