Saturday, January 12, 2013

This isn't that special

It keeps feeling like something special and horrible is happening just to me: that I lose both parents in what will probably be six months or less.  They were/are both pretty young for this sort of thing.  But you know, people lose both parents all the time.  I didn't appreciate how that could be for my dad, uncles, and aunts.  They had a few years between the deaths of their parents and maybe a couple of extra decades with them, but it's the same thing.  I have a good friend whose mother died in her sleep recently and she was considerably younger than my own mother and not sick in any obvious way. It just happened.  This kind of thing just happens.  My aunt put up with a situation much more difficult than this for years while her mother, my grandmother, died.  I think about all this when I go trying to feel too sorry for myself.  It's definitely bad luck, but it could be worse.  With both my parents I got time to see them when the end was coming.  I got time to talk and share things, suspecting what was coming.  Death always hits you out of the blue, even when you know the odds are high, but your parents should die before you, if things are to work out properly.

Most everyone ends up becoming an orphan eventually.  The ones that don't end up dead too young. Given the choice of the two, I'll take the former over the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment