Friday, January 25, 2013

He may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean he's wrong

So I hauled ass back, and I'm here with my mom now.  She still looks like an unwrapped mummy--smooth skin, slack mouth, no expression--but with the difference of having bulging eyeballs, that can be called upon to focus on you, but most of the time they're each doing their own thing.  She's speaking very very little, drinking less, and eating nothing.

So, of course, my brother uses any excuse he can to go party.  So when I thought it would be both he and my aunt here, that really meant he went to get wrecked in Las Cruces, and she stayed with my mom alone.  The meth-head neighbor decided to fuck with the two women, so he was walking around in the dark at night peeking into the windows and then got up on the roof and skulked around at 2 A.M.  He should try that again while I'm here.  So, all my brother's stoned paranoia may not have been without cause.  It just goes to show you that the town drunk may have actually seen a Sasquatch despite his utter lack of credibility.  But now we're both here so my brother went to Las Cruces again today with the promise that he'd be back around 5.  Since it's already 5:20, I think this is indicating that his credibility and everything else is on par with what I've experienced so far.  Whoopee!

So my great aunt Thelma visited today.  I didn't know who she was because I haven't seen her since I've been attending school.  I was going to begin P90X in earnest, but yeah, same problem.  I can't workout in 10 minute spurts, so I can't workout.  But my mom isn't having non-family guests now, so that trims that down a lot.

My regular aunt is staying here with me now, and she's awesome.  The last time I saw her, I was in something like 7th grade.  Can you tell I was estranged from this side of the family?  But, it's not just me.  The whole family was estranged from one another.  Two aunts, an uncle, and my grandfather had a mini-reuinion in the living room last night.  For all my mom's fucked-upness, it's pretty clear that she was the thing holding the family together.  They all interacted with her, though not with each other.  Now that she's going, they're pulling together.  I guess it goes to show that she's been a good woman in her own fucked up way.  She might've failed on some of the day-to-day stuff, but she did well in her over-arching schemes to do good.  I'm glad she gets to let go of that, and let her siblings pick the job up for themselves.

Which reminds me, I asked my uncle how his wife was doing without realizing she recently lost two family members, and he burst into tears.  This guy is a tall, historically slim (though he's rounding out a little now), cowboy type.  He doesn't show emotions, and he rarely talks.  So I didn't know what to do when he started blubbering.  I guess I should've grabbed him and hugged him or something, but I didn't want to make it worse.  I'm usually the guy who grabs and hugs when someone's crying; it was just too weird last night.  My aunts came in right then and the whole thing reminded me of that feeling when you were a kid and you are being annoyed by a smaller kid, so you push them down to get them to leave you alone or something and then they start crying and you're like, "Oh shit, I don't know what happened, I was just standing way over here, and he started crying...for no reason!"

I also kind of feel like an ass generally because I don't cry or get emotional when other people are around.  When they're all gone, I can get weepy, but I just don't join in in the group cry.  I guess there must be some cowboy in me somewhere too.

No comments:

Post a Comment