Monday, June 1, 2015

Happy Birthday, Mom

Tomorrow will be my mother's birthday. I thought I would stop posting here, and I mostly will, but I'm just going to add a little something. She's been gone since the last day of January 2013. I guess that makes this almost 2.5 years, and so it's her third birthday since she died. I don't resent her any more. That was quick, huh?

My brother is doing much better now too. He stopped most of the terrible stuff he was doing with his life and seems to have found a cute young thing and bought a house! What the hell am I doing? Well, swing dancing for one. I know, it hardly compares. But the resentment is gone. She was what she was, and she was a marked improvement over what she had for a mother. I guess a family that pulls itself up from the emotional gutter by its bootstraps takes a few generations to get it done.

I'm going to include the video she shot with me to be played at her funeral. Her arm was paralyzed at the time, which you can see. I debated a long time before I decided to post this online. I wouldn't have done it except that she did specifically shoot it to be shown at her funeral, so I figure what more privacy could this possibly violate? Besides, I was her power of attorney anyway.

One thing that makes me smile when I watch this is how my mother was so not a perfectionist. She was happy doing things good enough. That meant that a lot of her home projects were short of shoddy, or else they looked good until you looked very closely. That's probably why she was able to get shit done. Anyway, my phone goes off in the middle of the video. You'd think if there's one thing you're going to want to re-do if there's a cell phone going off during it, it's is your farewell to the world. Nope! Not my mom. She plows through and calls it a day.

So here you go, her farewell to the world:

No comments:

Post a Comment