Friday, February 8, 2013

Funeral Post Mortem

So, the funeral was yesterday. If anyone in this town has the flu, I probably have it now. But I got lots of hugging and handshaking practice in, so I probably went up a level in that. It was pretty decent so far as funerals go. There were a couple of speakers, one was really great, and the other was hilarious. And then we played the video I shot of my mom and hadn't shown to anyone.  It started with, "I'm BaaAAAaack!" That cracked everyone up. And there had been enough random cell phone bullshit during the funeral that when my phone went off in the video, it seemed like it was in the room somewhere.  Then there was a dinner afterward, and that was good too. Today I've got to go get a billion flowers for no reason. I told my brother he should take them to his girl. I wonder how well that would go over.

Afterward, I had a beer with my old ex-stepfather. He wasn't ever really present in my life despite that I lived with him for 7 years. It was one of those things where if he saw me, he assigned me a chore to get rid of me, so I just made sure I was never in his line-of-sight. But we got to reminisce about places we lived and events that happened, even if it wasn't about things we did together. So that was nice...ish.

Then later I went to my aunt's place to watch the new episode of Community. It was pretty bland. I don't remember the exact joke I made, but it was something like, "Wow. This was the low point of my day, and I was at my mother's funeral earlier!"

So, things will start going back to however they're going to be I guess. My little brother is doing everything he possibly can to not go back to work. He's now thinking he will take off until Wednesday. He just doesn't want to work. I can sympathize for sure, but the little shit has a great job. When I had a job that paid me 2/3 of what he's making, I was ecstatic. I hated being in an office and having to go daily, but I never missed a day. I don't think he does much more than I did in that job either, and it was pretty little.

So, I will probably post more entries from time-to-time, since there's going to be plenty of other stuff related to my mother's death and dealing with her stuff, but I do imagine that the posts will thin out somewhat. They have already begun to.

No comments:

Post a Comment